安全区域 serve as a source of support and information, free of judgment and hostility. They display the Safe Zone logo to indicate that they have completed Safe Zone training and have signed a contract expressing their commitment to Safe Zone policies and procedures. 安全区域 are also expected to challenge assumptions and prejudices related to sexual orientation and gender and to address heterosexist comments or behaviors in an educational and informative manner.
- To increase the campus community’s understanding and awareness of lesbian, gay, 双性恋, 变性人, intersex and questioning/queer (LGBTIQ) issues
- To provide a greater sense of safety for the LGBTIQ student community
- To offer information to straight allies of LGBTIQ people.
- To act as a resource for information related to combating homophobia, 异性恋主义, transphobia and other LGBTIQ misinformation and misconceptions
- Between 5-7 Safe Zone training sessions facilitated by the Campus 咨询中心 take place during each school year
- 安全区域 include faculty and staff members and students who participate in such organizations as 居住生活, the Peer Advocate Center and the Gay-Straight Alliance
- As of 2019-2020 our Active 安全区域 include: 160 faculty and staff members
- A total of 719 安全区域 have been trained since the program began.
- In addition to being allies for individual LGBTIQ students, Safe Zone participants attend a series of Brown Bag Lunch sessions throughout the school year to foster discussion around issues such as being 变性人 in college, 向朋友出柜, 家庭和父母, and dealing with homophobia and 异性恋主义 on campus